Thursday, March 6, 2008

6 March

After a little sleep-in, I rose, got ready, had breakfast (including a cup of tea made with boiling water) and then packed and tidied my material up. By about 8:10 I was ready to go, so I went down into town and refuelled the car before heading off to Canyonlands National Park. Once there, I got maps and a briefing, and set off to see the Mesa Arch. I walked over to that and heard a familiar accent – a couple from Australia were there, on holiday. We took photos for each other and agreed that the view was great. Then I went south and looked at Buck Canyon and Grand View Point, then went north to see the Green River and the Upheaval Dome. I thought I had enough time left so I parked and walked to the Aztec Butte and saw the lower granaries. By now it was after 1:20, so I headed off to the Arches National Park. It was down the road, on my way back to Moab, and I thought I had planned it all out well. After stopping at the Visitors Centre and getting detailed maps (and some souvenirs) I started out. Park Avenue, La Sal mountain viewpoint, the Three Gossips, the Sheep rock (had no trouble recognising that!), the Organ, the Courthouse Towers, Petrified Dunes viewpoint and the Balanced Rock had me going well.
The North Window, South Window and Turret Arch slowed me down. The size and sheer grandeur was hard to describe (so I won’t – just look at the photos) but it took time to absorb. Then, far later than I thought, I headed off to Panorama Point (okay) and then Delicate Arch. It was breathtaking – it took my breath a number of times on the way up and then finally when I got there. On the way, a youthful couple passed me and I mentioned that I would like some of the bloke’s energy. He replied by saying that he hoped he could still do the walking when he was my age. I didn’t know whether to take that as a compliment or otherwise. I had to rest and look at the arch, then started off back. On the way I got engaged in conversation with a regional manager of an optical firm (in this area) who has just put in for a position in Australia with his firm. Back at the car I headed into Moab for tea. While having that, a school sports team came in and I ended up talking with the coach and his assistant about school sports, travelling with school groups, salaries of teachers and the prices of houses. Then I ended up in a conversation with the staff about Australian animals. Finally I dragged myself away back to the motel, did the usual and was trying desperately to get to sleep early.

No comments: