Thursday, March 13, 2008

13 March

Day 54, where were you?
This was almost my cry as I woke at after 7 and still was not sure I wanted to get up. The mixture of a late night (midnight by the time I finished all my computer work after returning from Las Vegas), a good meal and quite a bit of driving had made me tired enough to snooze for a little longer.
Finally I rose, got myself ready and left. I had the satisfaction of knowing I had just had most likely the cheapest night of my entire time away from home, but the problem that I had now lost the second thing – a nail brush. The cost is not important, but knowing that I had forgotten something even though I had checked the room was annoying.
I headed west on I-15. Just as an aside, two days before when I left I-40 to go to the Grand Canyon West and posted a parcel home from Peach Springs, I had gone along Route 66 to do it. Any of you who have seen the movie “Cars” and remember the map scene, the route of both I-40 and Route 66 where I went was identical to the movie – I wonder if that part of Arizona was the inspiration?
I continued along I-15 until I went north. Both roads had some good and bad points, but travel was relatively quick. As I wanted to cover distance, I just kept going. Finally, I pulled up at a Rest Stop which was trialling wireless Internet for travellers. It worked like a charm and I could not only check my email (NONE!) but upload my blog and photos while I walked around and looked at the information there.
Then I went sideways across to see the Sequoia forests. Immediately travel ground to a halt (or so it seemed – traffic, traffic lights, speed zones down to 25 mph) and so progress became interminably slow. However I ended up at the National Park about 2. Knowing the procedure now (just as I am finishing my visits – only a few more to go), I show my pass with my driver’s licence. Then, after getting the newspaper for the park, I ask how to see as much as possible in a restricted time. The message was: Visitors’ Centre, Museum, Sherman Tree, drive out of the park to Fresno. However, while all was okay to the Visitors’ Centre, after that my time plans got shot.
The views were stunning. I tried to drive past rivers, mountains, views of the road, but found I couldn’t. A fifteen minute drive became one hour, but I managed to make it to the Museum in time, just before it closed. Then I got to the Sherman Tree, which you will see me in front of, courtesy of a couple from Cornwall who will be in Australia in July. After that it was a slow but scenic drive down the mountain and then into Fresno. I still find it hard, despite plates on the road giving advice to use the correct gears, to see drivers going downhill with their brakes on either continuously or at every corner. No wonder cars have brake failure, when items meant for intermittent use are used continuously. I really wonder whether anyone still is taught that you should descend in the same gear you used to ascend.
However, enough of that. I had got a coupon booklet and decided to try a motel in Fresno which advertised Internet and a hot breakfast. I found it quickly enough, the offer was still open and I booked in. Breakfast was a voucher for McDonald’s (next door, literally two steps away) and as they open at 5, it seems okay. You’ll hear tomorrow if it wasn’t.
I set up and found the wireless Internet worked okay. ONLY ONE EMAIL (thanks, Peggy!) but I will email out soon. The room has a microwave and fridge, so if breakfast hadn’t been available, I could have made myself toast anyway. It has a couch, desk and, more importantly for me, a spare powerpoint right next to the bed (so I can plug the computer and the battery charger in). I got down to the usual computer work and then got some tea next door while the computer was doing its thing for me. I hope to write some letters and postcards and post them tomorrow, but also get to bed early and catch up on sleep before I head off to Yosemite tomorrow.
My only regret so far is that I wasn’t in Arkansas long enough to get someone to correct my pronunciation (Ar–can-saw) and then I could say I wanted to visit Can-saw City (thanking them for helping me pronounce Kansas correctly) and thus totally confusing them.

No comments: