Sunday, March 2, 2008

2 Merch

I woke very reluctantly at 6 and got up to have breakfast. Unfortunately for me, the only place where I didn’t check and breakfast DIDN’T have toast – so no Vegemite, but instead glazed honey bread (but never again – too sweet for my taste) and donuts for in the car.
I packed, checked out and was on the road well before 7. I stopped at a rest stop and filled up bottles with water to drink, then refilled the car later. It was a good run, with little traffic (although the speeds were the same, if not lower) and I arrived at LeClaire about 1 local time and had a quick bite to eat. I was at Ron and LaVonne’s place in Bellevue at 3 Eastern time – but of course it was central time there, so they hadn’t arrived back. Instead I met Gina (daughter) and Matt (boyfriend) and we chatted until Ron and LaVonne arrived back.
First thing was greeting, then second thing was the events immediately after we had parted on the train, as the train was very late. However they had been picked up immediately the train arrived and had a great time. Then I ran through were I had been and what I had done. After that it was show the photo I had taken (and some others) and then talk about Australia, showing them places on the map and photos of particular things, including the Bight. I also related the tale of our rescue of the mother and son at Coober Pedy.
My planned hour was cut short after two, as I had to be on my way. I left my number and email details with them, saying that if they ever came out, to catch up and I would show them quite a bit of Australia (I should have added, if they were up to it, as my pace can be quite quick, though passengers can relax a bit).
After I left, a number of things happened.
Looking at the Mississippi on my left as I went south, I saw islands in the river and it brought to mind Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn and other tales. Then I remembered that at the museum in Dubuque, I had found out the US Army Corps of Engineers had worked on the river with underwater dams, locks and removal of rubbish and rapids so that a channel depth of nine feet (about two and a half metres) would always be present. So although the river is wide, it is not always that deep.
I was raised from my reverie by a car stopped at the side of the road (partially in the snow) about twelve miles south of Bellevue. I wondered why it was there, as the position was hazardous, and then I saw a bald eagle on the side of the road with some prey. Although it appeared only about twenty inches high (just over 50 cm), he was standing there glaring balefully at the other car, and then me as I slowed. I would have loved to have got the picture, but with the snow, there was nowhere to pull off (and I didn’t want someone to rear-end the rental car). It is a picture which will remain with me forever now, and I will forever compare it with a wedge-tailed eagle, which although to me appears larger, does not have the majestic bearing the white neck and head gives.
When I got back into Illinois I called into the Visitors Centre. I had no luck in finding discount coupons for tonight, but I did have an American family ask me for help (they thought I worked there – I can’t shake the “in charge” appearance). After they found I was from Australia, they asked about that. Night had already fallen, but the view of the river was great, especially of LeClaire (in Iowa).
I motored on to Lincoln, where I decided to stay at a Comfort Inn (it was reasonable in price, there was a “Wendy’s” next door so I could grab a bite to eat and the clerk on the desk asked if I wanted a ground floor or first floor room). I quickly unpacked, had a quick bite to eat and then came back to the room and wrote up my blog, posted that and emailed out. With no photos, that work was shorter, so hopefully I can get to bed and sleep earlier.
The clerk (from India) asked if I followed cricket (yes, if I need something to put me to sleep) and then if I was going to visit Springfield. I almost thought yes, if Homer and Bart were going to be home, but then decided no as it was only the birthplace of Lincoln, with a museum as well. But the real reason for not visiting is it will cut down on what I want to experience first-hand for myself, and I have to keep to schedule lest I find I miss out on my priorities.

No comments: