Saturday, March 15, 2008

15 March

Toady started out as normal, getting up, preparing, having toast, then getting coffee and pastries to have for a late breakfast. I arrived at the Sacramento Capitol Air Show about 8:30, parked and stood in line. I didn’t expect tickets to be sold until at least 9:45, so I was ready and had postcards and letters with me to write. In the main, these went to those without computers and Internet connections, so don’t expect any. I stood in line and wrote.
When I had nearly finished, I heard a couple behind me mention the rabbit-proof fence. As there isn’t one anywhere else than Australia, my ears pricked up and I spoke to them. They had just received the DVD of the movie and and wanted to know if it was like reality/ We talked about that for a while, while the organisers made announcements about security (USAF) being late. After we parted and went our ways to see the displays, I looked at a range of aircraft and spoke to a few personnel. I found out the Blue Angels pilot I was after would be here today.
Then I was standing looking and got run over by a small boy. His father apologised and we ended up talking about the US, Australia, politics, monetary policy, oil and a whole range of things. His children got my photo site address to see Australian things. Then I spoke to a U2 pilot (we had U2s at RAAF Laverton when I was there). Then I saw a Camaro (Holden Monaro) painted up in CHP colours so I spoke to the officer there. The instruments were nearly the same as mine, BUT had all four (which I could not get!) gauges.
Then the flying started. I couldn’t get a good position so some photos include backs or sides of heads as well as aircraft. Then I decided to take some movies, but still got heads.
I did get to meet Dino, who remembered Akko, so I got an autograph and then left. I booked into the same motel (Days Inn, Oakland) as I had been in before so I knew I could get Internet and the washing done. A relatively quick drive to Oakland (a suburb of San Francisco) and I was in the motel and the mashing was on. Some tea, a bit more unpacking and then it was time to put the drying on. While waiting I finished my writing and chatted to the next in line, who had been a Phantom pilot in the USAF during Vietnam and done R&R in Sydney. After that he had been an airline pilot, but is now retired.
Then it was back to the writer’s garret (Room 322) and writing up my memoirs (whoops, I meant blog) and processing photos. I’m not sure about the movies so they may have to wait.
Then it was to bed about 10:30. I want an early start, after breakfast here, to see the Golden Gate park and then head up Highway 1.

No comments: