Wednesday, March 26, 2008

23 March

Ah, another day!
I awoke before the alarm, at 6 when the alarm was set for 7. Reluctantly I went back to sleep and then awoke again when the alarm went off. After checking for emails and other notices, I did the usual and then went down for breakfast. Toast! And where was the Vegemite, I asked myself? Safe and secure, locked in the boot of the car, two blocks away! So with all the facilities, I went without. Then it was to the front desk to ask for the car to be delivered by 8:05 and back up to try to cram everything in or discard. And cram I did – the backpack, the National Geographic backpack and my jacket. If I tripped, I would need assistance to be righted.
Down and the car arrived just after I checked out. So fighting musicians to get out the door (their vehicle was ahead of mine) I put the backpack into the car and drove away. A quick trip to the railway station and I found that there were non-metered spots right opposite where I had sweated over not having change to park. Into the station and I checked the bags in and got another set of vouchers to exchange for tickets in the afternoon. Then I headed off to return the car – and after I finally found it (a small storefront) and parked the car, I found a unique feature – the car was checked by a receiver. Then the paperwork was finished and I was asked how the car went – my reply regarding visibility from it and having to operate in a sequence to be able to get out of the car is unprintable. Then I left and walked around Vancouver. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of parks – I estimated about one in five blocks had a park. I was unpleasantly surprised by the number of people who were apparently homeless or poor. For the first time in many years I saw someone collecting cigarette butts to use to make cigarettes later.
The contrast of building styles was amazing. Some were old, some new and some were unable to make up their mind. The range of buildings and businesses was also amazing. Ultramodern hotels were cheek by jowl with old or restored buildings. I wandered around soaking this all in and finally had my mind blown by a classical Chinese garden, walled, in the town. I had seen the Science World dome and called in there. Expecting I’m not sure what, I found a vibrant place which had been designed to educate and entertain children and which had been hijacked by adults who were trying to monopolise all the fun. Thinking I could while away an hour or so, I watched a film on the Grand Canyon and water and finally left four hours later. It was close to train departure time so I walked to the station, collected my luggage and then booked it in and, in an end to the saga of vouchers, got my ticket and cabin allocation. I tried to read the paper but got hijacked by a couple from Toronto going to the US for a holiday and talked about touring the US, Canada and Australia. Soon the lounge (for we first-class travellers) opened and I found a computer terminal I could use (my laptop was in the luggage so I couldn’t use it). After sending out a bulk email, I checked Flickr (no activity) but then was able to show the couple pictures of Australia from there. That then extended to another family, where the parents and two married children were travelling together. Then, taking photos outside, I heard an Australian accent and met a couple with a young child (and so was able to pass on the toy I had got with a meal many weeks ago now) from Ringwood.
Very soon after we were on the train and off. Here I met another two couples from Brisbane. We all sat u and watched the suburbs go by, had a little chat and then had dinner. Here I met Jim (from the US, Indiana) and a young fellow from Edmonton. We chatted pleasantly over the meal, then after had a joke with the train staff. After that, the sun had set so pleasantries were exchanged with a number of other passengers, I put my bed down, then I went to bed, wrote (I’ll transfer pictures tomorrow) and dropped off to sleep, being rocked gently to sleep.

No comments: