Friday, March 14, 2008

14 March

Today began in Fresno at 5:30, so I waited until 6:30 to get up, prepare and then hop next door to McDonald’s for breakfast. I still find it difficult to call a patty in a plain scone as “sausage in a biscuit”, but that’s what I had (with an egg). Then it was pack up, but this time I didn’t even have to check out as one of the motel staff took my key on the way. Last night was a power blackout, fortunately AFTER I had finished my computer work, but it did make me try to get to sleep earlier. I had just fiddled with the automatic light sensor for the bathroom and thought I had blown a fuse until I looked out and saw the whole motel and street in darkness.
Then it was out of Fresno and up to Yosemite. The first part was okay, on freeway, but again as I turned off onto the highways and smaller roads, the traffic was slower and the roads less friendly. An interesting aspect was that going into Yosemite, the 55 mph zone ended – no other restrictions until a few miles down the road. I wonder what the legal speed would be there?
Into Yosemite, armed with my map and newspaper, the trip had only begun. The actual park didn’t start for a long time after entry – nearly half an hour. Then I saw my first view of Yosemite, which looked nothing like the promotional material, but beautiful nevertheless. I stopped to take some photos and ran into a couple from Minnesota (if they read this, it’s the one who’s father embarrasses by wearing long johns with shorts!). We had a very pleasant chat about weather, photography and places to see in the park. I had things to do, however, so had to move on. My resolve to get there quickly was stymied by the sights along the way. When I finally did arrive, just finding the parking areas was a job in itself, as a lot of signage was hidden by snowbanks, put there as the ploughs cleared the roads. Once the car was parked, I went into the village and looked around and then proceeded to the Visitors’ Centre. Looking around in there, again I couldn’t help myself as I overheard a teacher explaining how Yosemite used to look just as I was looking at the photo of what she was talking about. After pointing that out, we then got into a discussion on how to teach geology and astronomy. Again I had to get away and went into the bookshop and purchased a DVD and some postcards. As each park which is large seems to run shuttles to diminish the impact of cars on the park, I took the shuttle to have a look around and also to get off and walk the mile to Mirror Lake (which took me fifteen minutes, not too bad as part was uphill and it’s all at an altitude of greater than six thousand feet). I was captivated more by the creek than the Mirror Lake, as the water flowing through means it is not really a good reflective surface. On the way back I had to wait for the shuttle, so I wrote some postcards out (mainly for people who aren’t in on this mass email I send out each day). Back at the village I had some lunch and then travelled to a spot to get some good pictures of the half dome and arches and coincidently got a coyote (in a picture, not with the car). After that it was to the waterfall, where a couple from France helped me get a photo of myself in front of the waterfall.
After all this exertion it was time to head out, as I wanted to be in Sacramento for the evening. I had found a place to stay (from one of the coupon books, Internet and breakfast, for $39.99 plus tax) so rang them up and booked on the way. I filled up with petrol, then had some tea at Stockton, and then drove into Sacramento to finally arrive at my accommodation by 8. After booking in (and finding I saved $20, but breakfast is only coffee and pastries, so I’ll finish off my toast in the morning) I went to my room, did the usual and hope to be in bed and asleep by not long after 10.

No comments: