Thursday, February 7, 2008

7 February

I woke well before the alarm at 6:15. After checking emails (a few send a note but most don’t) I was up and finished packing (my backpack), then got ready for the day. My bags were loaded onto the shuttle while I settled my account, and then it was off to the BART station. A couple were taking the train to San Francisco Airport to fly home to Newark NJ. AS I already had my ticket from yesterday, I went straight up to the platform. Within five minutes I was on a train, then off in ten at Lake Merritt. A quick glance around and I was off down Oak and along 2nd and within fifteen minutes I had walked to the AMTRAK terminal. Although it looks a long way with a number of blocks to cross, the blocks are fairly small and it wasn’t really far.
At the station I ensured I was at the right place, at the right time and that the train was on time. All was correct and I waited. A lady form Milan turned up to travel on the same train (she had been working for the UN), so we waited together. The train turned up a few minutes early, we all got on (four of us from Oakland) and went up. There were no power outlets in the coach car, but there were in the lounge car. I settled in (on the right-hand side of the carriage so I can see the coastal sights) and started to write up today’s activities.
Yesterday was in one way an eye-opener and also sad. I saw a number of bag people, with all their belongings gathered into a few suitcases or bundles, with these in a shopping trolley or similar and they themselves huddled at the base of their world. I had seen homeless aid being given out in New York and Chicago and people collecting for the homeless, and yesterday I was actually solicited for aid. I gave something, though a small badge and clipboard doesn’t make anything very official. A truck, or photo badges, would have made me feel like my funds were actually going where they should. I had a feeling of sadness, not so much for the people as in LA it was at least warm and there were doorways to shelter in, but that in a land that should be the richest in the world that people can be worse off than in a third-world country. One measure of a country is how well it treats its poor and sick, and on both measures, from what I have seen, there are problems. Even in New Orleans, giving money is not a solution, but institutionalising care, with all its problems, may be a way out though with less dignity that some people want.
Heading out of Oakland it was typical railway view, as in anywhere in the world. Industrial, yards, rubbish strewn and domestic back yards. Then it was into farmlands with some large industrial areas. We arrived in San José, so now I do know the way to San José – just take Amtrak south from san Francisco! From there we followed the Monterey Road (I had the SatNav out). These coach cars don’t have power outlets, so the ones in the lounge car are monopolised by those with computers or mobile phones to charge.
We have turned inland and there are ranges of hills to each side. The ones on the west remind me of the Flinders Ranges – they are smooth, worn down with the ravages of time. Those on the west look more rugged, but it may simply be they are treed while the others are grassed. Cultivation is a mixture of vines and hothouses, with bits of industry as we go through towns such as Coyote, San Martin and Gilroy.
Sitting in the observation car and taking some photos, I met a lady from Virginia who had travelled extensively and whose husband had done computer work for the Hastings Cold Rolling steel mill near Melbourne. She suggested some places to see along the way as well. The only problem is going to be that these suggestions are playing havoc with my timetable. I also met a fellow from Santa Barbara who suggested some other places to see in San Francisco (Young Museum in Golden Gate Park). While taking some photos I met another fellow who seemed very intent in his phone calls but otherwise very affable. He introduced himself and we had a conversation about train travel. It was then time for lunch and a selection from the AMTRAK limited and quite unhealthy menu. I ate that will observing the scenery. After a while I went back to my seat and started dozing – perhaps the constancy of travelling had got to me, but more likely it was the combination of a meal, warm sun and pleasant surroundings. After an hour or so we stopped and the lady from Virginia got off and was met by her son and grandchildren. The children were shy of meeting a stranger, even if he did have a funny accent.
Back on the train we were coming up towards the coast and I resumed conversation with the gent from Santa Barbara (who was a software engineer). He was able to describe the climate and geography of the area and we talked about that, America and then Australia (which I was able to show him on a map, in between rushing to take coastline photos. This had to stop as the light started to fade. In a short while we had reached Santa Barbara and he got off and I had some tea (both meal and liquid – “hot tea” in the local parlance). After that I sat in my seat to watch the scenery and packed things up. I called where I was staying tonight so they would know I was late (although it is already confirmed and paid for, so whatever happens they don’t lose). Now, about twenty-five minutes out of LA at Van Nuys, there are only Kenny, the lady from Milan and myself out of those I have engaged with. During the afternoon I rang Fran (she was just about to head out to work) and Jennifer (who wasn’t in, so I left a message). Now as my train travel is about to end in the same city I started in nineteen days earlier, I have mixed feelings. I have learned all the ways to survive in coach class, how to relax in sleeper, how to mix with many different people and how to navigate different public transport systems. I will miss having so many people around me, but I will regain the freedom of movement in a car. I will be able to shop as and when I want and carry more things with me, and also choose from a wider range of accommodation. How this will actually turn out is only something I will be able to muse on retrospectively in about forty-seven days when I board the Canadian on 24 March (I think).
For now I’m looking forward to catching a cab to my hotel tonight and going to sleep. I will upload this blog, but I’m not sure about the photos (because there were no power outlets in the carriages, the laptop charge is down because of writing and powering the SatNav during the day).
By the way, I enjoy hearing from anyone who emails me. It reminds me that life is going on for others.
Arrived LA Union Station at 8:40. In a cab by 8:55 and into Comfort Inn LA City Center before 9:10. Walked around to get a drink and every sign is Spanish or Asian. Just going to do my pictures if I can and then to sleep.

No comments: