Wednesday, February 13, 2008

13 February

Awake at 6 and then up not too long after. By the time I got ready, took everything down to the car and checked out, it was about 6:45. I refuelled the car (having to prepay on the credit card; this would have to be the most inefficient way of using the pumps as it requires two trips to the cashier and then having to estimate how much fuel you can put in, or not filling the tank – so I can see why people have no real idea of their fuel consumption and why they run out of petrol) and then set off on the Interstate (I-10 east). There was a lot of traffic, especially heavy vehicles. This thinned out as I got further away from Tucson.
As an aside, most of the semis only have two rear axles. Seeing the GVW on one was 80 000 lb, I worked out this was only 37 tonnes, far less than our normal 42.5 tonne. Perhaps this is why.
Again most vehicles were travelling over the speed limit. When I had to go out to pass the few vehicles travelling slower, I ended up with a queue behind because I don’t want the inconvenience and expense of a speeding ticket here. There were a few roadworks, so I wasn’t able to keep up the maximum speed, which went as high as 75 mph (120 km/hr). When I stopped at a picnic area, I took some photos so I could compare them back home. I had already stopped at an Arizona Rest Area so knew how palatial they could be. But after I passed the New Mexico border, I stopped at their rest area and it beat Arizona – adobe buildings, free tourist information, free coffee, free Internet and cheap vending machines. I loaded up with information (a mistake, as it will cost me to post it all home) and set off.
Because of the shape of the states, I quickly entered into Texas. Here the rest area was trying to one-up New Mexico – bigger, more info, much more palatial and a lot more display outside. All have areas for pets.
I pushed on to El Paso but saw no young Mexican maid – in fact the petrol pump I filled up at took my card and DIDN’T require a ZIP code, so I could fill the car without seeing anyone. Things like that may make for efficiency but they reduce the human contact needed for social interaction. The short range of the car was exemplified by the need to stop about every five hours to fill (or every four hours to make sure you didn’t run out of petrol, easy to do on the Interstates where every facility is off to the side).
Then I went through suburbia for a while as I went off onto a state highway to go to Carlsbad. I thought the speed limit would be lower, but it went back up to 75 soon. I stopped to take photos because the scenery was interesting. The best shots came near the Guadalupe National Park. I pulled in there to have a look and also to get a National Parks pass for the whole time I am travelling in the US. For $80, I should get my money back soon, but also it reduces my waiting time at entry to a lot of places (no queues!). I got the pass, and a book on all the parks, saw a slideshow on the park and found out that Yellowstone will probably be snowbound when I arrive (still get in, but not by car). I also picked up a few hints on places to see in Florida.
I called in at the turnoff to Carlsbad Caverns and found out that I should be there by 8 to get onto the tour and also to allow myself enough time to get down to take the guided tour while doing the self-guided one(s) myself. I will have saved $6 by then on the National Parks entry.
It was a relatively quick drive into Carlsbad and I booked into the motel. The cheapest so far (less than US$45 for the night, including tax and Internet) and it has a microwave and fridge. Cans are in to cool for tomorrow and the toaster is out for vegemite on toast tomorrow for breakfast. I posted the photos from Monday and the blogs. Then downtown for tea (tried Wendy’s tonight) and I spoke to a Corporal from the Carlsbad Sheriffs’ Office about the number of cars speeding. He said that was what kept him busy. I did a little shopping on the way back, took what I needed up to the room (first floor, not ground) and did the photos from today and posted them, then did this blog and will try ot get to sleep earlier and be up to leave by about 7:20 (to be at the caverns by 8).
That’s what’s planned, but who knows?

No comments: