Thursday, February 21, 2008

21 February

I woke this morning on schedule, at about 5:10. For some reason time zones don’t seem to make too much difference – I wish they would and I could get a sleep-in at some stage.
After the usual preparation I was up at the office by 7 and left the card. It was raining, but not too bad. Then I headed off to the Florida Visitors Centre and got some more information about the Naval Aviation Museum and history areas. Off to the Museum and the SatNav wanted me to go one way and the signed route wanted me to go another. I followed the signs but got nagged at by the SatNav at every intersection. It became annoying because of the rain, which was getting heavier.
I found the Museum without any trouble and had to show my passport to get a temporary pass, which took me back about thirty years.
Once I was in the museum I looked around for the tours. The “trolley” tour of the flight line for 10:30 was already booked out, because that was the one which entered the restoration work area. I had to settle for the 11:30 one which only does the actual aircraft outside. I looked around inside from 9:20 until 11:20, then picked up the tour. It was raining even more heavily now, and the photos taken outside are through water droplets on the windows. That wasn’t the worse, as the timber sides of the “trolley” leaked and, leaning against the side to take the photos, I ended up with wet trousers. I ended up being one of six or so who had the same problem.
I was going to have lunch there, but the café was crowded with patrons, so after a final look around I left about 1 p.m.
I went into Pensacola hoping to spend a few hours wandering around the historic precinct but by now the water in the streets was at least a few inches deep and the rain was heavier still. I called in at the central Visitors Centre but the staff were unable to suggest something given the time and the weather. I decided to head off southwards and to beat the weather and set off on State Highway 98. This gives a beautiful view of the Gulf Islands and the Gulf. The only problem was that I couldn’t see the beach let alone the sea or the islands. After a few hours I gave up as the rain was getting even heavier, the wind was gusting and the speed limits were varying between 25 and 55 mph. I filled up with petrol (the American Express card I used had no problems, whereas my MasterCard has had constant problems at the pumps – but nowhere else!) and had some lunch, then headed over to I-10. I was considering going to Tampa, but with the time difference, the distance and the weather, I gave in and stopped at Tallahassee. This time I tried a Howard Johnson, as they advertise Internet access and free breakfast (but at a higher price than a Motel6). Even though I got in at 7:40 local time (6:40 by my watch).
Part of the reason for pulling in was that the rain kept gusting, the roads (which are a good system, but need maintenance in quite a few places) had pools of water in the traffic-wear grooves (where most drivers keep their wheels and so are slightly lower than the rest of the road) which meant that every lane change was accompanied by aquaplaning – aggravated by the front-wheel-drive on the Pontiac. Add to this the traffic speed of around 75 mph (even the trucks, but at least they didn’t hit the 85 one car was doing as it appeared and passed me in almost a blur but certainly a huge amount of spray and total loss of vision for me) and I decided to call it quits. And just to add to this, as I went to turn off the Interstate in Tallahassee, there were roadworks and the exits were almost invisible – as it was really dark by now, 7:30 when I entered the city area.
So I have settled back and have the TV on, watching a reality show about poor driving and thinking I’ve been watching it this afternoon and evening.
Now to download this (I’ve had trouble with the pictures, but I’ll try again later) and then go to sleep. It’s still raining heavily outside and there has been thunder and lightning.

No comments: