Wednesday, May 21, 2008

19 May

And so the day dawned on my first day in Denmark.
I awoke later than usual (truer in intent than in fact, as I got up later) and was prepared by about 9 to leave. I packed all my laundry into the car (shirts hanging, socks and some underwear across the back), checked, left the key to the room in the letterbox and headed out. I arrived at the Dansk Auto HiFi to find … it didn’t open until 10. I headed into the city of Køge instead, intent on seeing if there were other options regarding my now defunct SatNav. I found the Tourist Bureau after studying the map in the town square carefully – and realised that had I turned around I would have seen it just as quickly.
I headed over, hoping that it would be open earlier than most business houses and … it was! Success! The young lady who attended to me spoke impeccable English and knew of a retail dealer in such devices – El Giganten. She gave me a map to locate it (turn left at McDonald’s) but didn’t think it opened until 10, and advised me to have a coffee while waiting. I thought I would break with tradition and have a McDonald’s breakfast, as I had to pass there anyway and found … it didn’t open until 10 for breakfast, as well. I headed down to the El Giganten store and had a quick look about Belgium in my Lonely Planet guide, then noticed that there was a line outside the store. I went and joined it, then was followed by others, who I now noticed were brandishing catalogues – low and behold, I had turned up to a massive sale. By 10 the threatening weather was turning to rain and the doors opened just as the heavens opened. I got inside, found they did in fact sell TomTom units and espied a salesman who wasn’t busy, who told me, no, I only sell whitegoods. I found another, but he told me to see the TomTom expert, who by now was dealing with the same line of customers as I had seen outside. I had to join the line and eventually (after ten minutes) got to see him. I explained the situation, he tried a reset to no avail and then tried to contact the TomTom help line. After twenty minutes he got through, having to speak to them in English, and explained the situation in great (and correct) detail. After a lot of toing and froing, the upshot was that he was not able to swap units, and I would have to contact TomTom to arrange repair/replacement. To say I was not happy was an understatement (but wait, as Tim Shaw said, there’s more). I needed action immediately so asked if they had one in stock – yes. Then the cash register wouldn’t take my credit card (I find it amazing that petrol stations and toll roads all take the card with no problems whatsoever, but bookshops and now electrical stores won’t accept the card). I used my debit card, which went through without any problems, and was also advised to keep the receipt and produce it, with my passport, when I left Europe for a tax rebate.
Out I went to the car, pulled the unit out and plugged the power in, then put my card in. No problem with the power, but it wouldn’t accept the map card – I needed to visit the TomTom website to get an activation code. Went back to see the salesman, who advised me that the Western Europe map was preloaded and I didn’t need the card – except of course, all the addresses I needed and my preferences, including voices, were on that card. Now I got it working and put in the centre of Copenhagen and headed off, with an irritating English female voice telling me where to go, instead of the irritating Australian Ken voice. By now it was pouring rain, and despite ringing Simon’s number a few times, I couldn’t get through (it was busy). I headed off and stopped twice to call, finally getting Simon on the third attempt while driving (not singing) in the rain. Simon was very busy with various negotiations and would be tied up all day. As Copenhagen in the rain was not a pleasant option as a tourist, I programmed the (new) SatNav to take me out to Kinæk on the west coast. The rain was heavier now and roadworks had again appeared to plague me, so I didn’t call the Hansens. After a two hour run, I stopped for lunch and rang. I was due to arrive about 4:20, and all was okay. Off I went, buoyed with at least some success and headed into alternate bouts of sunshine and heavy rain.
I arrived at Kinæk at 4:15, after heading far further along the road than I was instructed, but knowing I was heading in the correct direction and hadn’t come across the house yet (but found it within a minute). I stopped the car and was greeted from within, so found where the front door was. After introductions, I showed Gitte some photos of Fran and then burned a DVD of many of the pictures. We went out to the sunhouse and had coffee, talking about travel experiences from both sides. After about half an hour, Peter arrived home from work. We continued our chat, then I was informed that I was invited to stay. I accepted, but only for the next day. Peter then took me for a tour of the local town, Herning, a project his company was working on (currently a big hole in the ground but soon to be an underground car park, hotel, apartments and sporting and literary facilities – very impressive), other local factories, a echo chamber/babel/stylish lookout (Elia), some early Jan Utzon projects and the old town centre. Then we were back to have tea (very delicious typical Danish meatball dinner) and continued our chat about travel throughout the world and Australia in particular. After dinner we retired for coffee and slice (do I really look that ravenous that everyone thinks I need to eat more?) and a discussion over what I was going to be shown tomorrow and a possible route down to the Netherlands which would include history and natural sights.
Then, after a discussion on school leaving ages and language teaching, and exchange students, I went up to the room prepared for me, did my usual chores and was ready for bed by 11:45. We’re off to the west coast tomorrow.

No comments: