Thursday, May 15, 2008

15 May

Today I awoke well and truly before the alarm, with gentle sunlight and the six o’clock church bells ringing. By 7 I got up and was ready by 7:30 and nabbed by mine hostess who wondered whether I was ready to have breakfast. I headed down to find my place already set and a lady (who had arrived yesterday looking a little hot and bothered, dragging a suitcase) halfway through her breakfast.
My tea arrived and I started, and chatted to the lady at the same time. She was German, here on her own, going along the Danube by public transport (they are Post Busses, though I am unsure as to whether they actually carry the post , as in other countries). She had an extensive career in travel, travelling across Russia and China over twenty years ago with her husband, then travelling to many parts of Asia, as well as cycling through most of Europe (mainly tent accommodation). Now, with children, they often travel by rail but extensive travel is on hold while the children grow up (11 and 14). She had not been to Australia, but knew it was large.
She headed off her way and I went mine, packing and then saying goodbye, and heading off for a leisurely trip back to Innsbruck. I set the SatNav to take me to Salzburg, so I could have a look at it and also say I had been there. The run down to Salzburg was partly along the Danube and partly through forest and alps. Unfortunately, as has happened so many times, the best views were fleeting glimpses which I could not take both because I was driving and because I was unable to find somewhere to stop. Although Austrian roads are generally far wider and better than French or Italian roads, they still don’t have many parking places, especially at scenic lookouts. Even the good parking places are shrouded in trees, which makes for a great spot to halt on a sunny summer day, but a lousy place to take photos.
When I got to Salzburg, it struck me like so many of the other Austrian cities – neat, clean, well-tended. It was also fairly modern, with a good road system that whisked me through quickly, with only minor inconvenience to pedestrians and those drivers in a hurry.
Once on the road from Salzburg I determined that I would find spots to get typical photographs. I did at a number of places, but one photo I wanted, of the huts on the alpine meadows, eluded me because I didn’t see any this trip. I will go north via Munich to make sure I get some tomorrow. The thing that amazes me is how the sight of snow-covered mountains peeking through each gap in the tree-covered mountains is taken my natives without a second glance. Despite having now had a few days here, it still makes me stop each time I see it.
As I drew closer to Innsbruck I got a little hungry. I saw an Mpress supermarket and know they have a fresh bread kitchen attached to them so got a muffin and baguette. At this stage I really have to say NO-ONE makes baguettes like the French. The baguette I got was so much like a bread roll from a Vietnamese bakery that I started to peer around for the Vietnamese baker. As I left, the scenery got to me again, as did the fact that like in any country town, someone was stopped in the road having a chat to a driver. Everyone just went around – no tooting or yelling, just drive around as it may be you doing it tomorrow.
Later I saw a McDonald’s. Purely in the interest of research I went in to see if they had Internet. No, but they did have a €1 menu, so I had a hamburger and shake. They also had a London bus as the children’s party area – I couldn’t believe it, to quote Victor Meldrew, so I had to get a picture.
Then I headed into Innsbruck. Because I was coming from the north, I came across Paula’s Pension, where I’m staying, before hitting the city.
I pulled in and found Wolfgang’s mother on duty – she had my toiletries container and the key to the room, so up I went. I then uploaded blogs and photos, for the last three days.
You may wonder why I went back a day and a few hundred kilometres for something which I could have replaced for about €5 here or about $3 back home. The main reason is that it’s the same case which mum used while she was in care and away on holidays with Fran while she had Alzheimers and then cancer. Its sentimental value is far greater than its intrinsic value.
I’m not sure if I put it in before, but:
Italian farmers – small to medium tractors. Austrian and German farmers – medium to large tractors. French farmers – huge to enormous tractors.
I’ve also quickly become adept at looking for the best place for shopping – the different supermarkets have different advantages/disadvantages. With some they are very cheap, but it’s all generic brands. With some, it’s branded lines, but not always that cheap. With some you can’t buy fruit individually, so that’s difficult for travelling with one. The smaller ones have the advantage that every store has identical layout, so you don’t waste time finding anything.
Religious paraphernalia – after seeing Italian drivers, I know why they have religious symbols hanging from mirrors, etc. It’s because they expect to meet God nearly every moment they are driving.
Now, getting on to 8, I’m going to go to bed to relax, if not to sleep yet, as the car seat is proving its one and half hour comfortableness yet again, especially after many hours non-stop in it.
Memo to self: pull up and get out every hour, so back does not get sore.
Memo to self: check room carefully tomorrow so I don’t visit Innsbruck a third time.

Reflection: Innsbruck in particular, but Austria in general, would be a good place to live. Not crowded, reasonable in price, clean, varied climate. But the winter …

Discussing with the German lady this morning, she thought Austria was expensive. My quick observation of Germany was it is more expensive. I’m basing that on fuel (diesel up to €0,20 a litre dearer) and supermarkets (goods seemed to be more highly priced). I suppose that as a tourist, costs are always greater than as a resident, when you can take the time to find the cheapest places and items and accommodation isn’t a factor.

Good things …

Every so often, things happen correctly.
I had thought I had lost the CD case I use for carrying the SatNav when I’m not in a car. It holds the unit, the cord (both of which are obviously in use) and the spare cards for the SatNav (just in case the card in it proves faulty due to poor design, temperature changes or physical damage). Getting a map last night, I found it under the passenger seat, yet I had looked there before. I hold out hope for the electronic translator when I empty the car and return it on the afternoon of 1 June.
I had to purchase a charger for the mobile phone because the cords I had weren’t working (I have a USB to Nokia adaptor, plus an adaptor to the smaller socket in the 6100). I tried them again today and … they worked! Now I can charge my mobile from the computer again, important in Japan where I won’t be in a car. Otherwise I was just going to leave it switched off unless I needed to make a call. I use it so much as an alarm that I really do need it.
I got my toiletries case back today.
Now if everything else can go as well – accommodation tomorrow night, laundrette tomorrow or the following night, …

Driving test

A speed limit is
a) an insult to my manhood, and of no significance to me.
b) a guide to novice drivers and visitors.
c) to be obeyed.

A turn indicator is
a) something I put on when on an Autostrade because I’m going to overtake everyone.
b) something I put on to overtake, but rarely turn off.
c) something I put on to overtake and turn off once I have overtaken.

A brake pedal is
a) used if the right foot is not on the accelerator.
b) used at the last moment when about to hit another vehicle.
c) used to either dramatically slow or to stop the vehicle.

An accelerator
a) is used flat to the floor or not at all.
b) is used for as long as possible.
c) is used to control the speed of the vehicle.

The left hand lane
a) is for my use.
b) is for use by me when I want it.
c) is used to overtake and then vacated.

A safety cushion is
a) when a cushion will fit between me and the car in front.
b) about a metre or so.
c) about a metre for every five kilometres per hour of the speed I am travelling at.

The rear vision mirror is
a) for checking women drivers in the cars I am passing.
b) for looking at my face.
c) for checking if vehicles are behind me.

Parking means
a) fitting the car into a space.
b) putting the car out of the traffic lane.
c) placing the car into a parking place, next to the kerb and with space for other vehicles to manoeuvre.

I got my licence from
a) the bottom of a Weeties packet.
b) a bribed official.
c) a driving test, which I passed on the road and in theory.

Now if you got all a’s – you get an
Now if you got all b’s – you get a
Now if you got all c’s – you get an Australian driving licence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm going to use your driving test to practice for my real driving test! I love it! (what do i get if i get all a's?)