Thursday, November 20, 2008

6 November

We had a quiet day today, so I got up at 0700 and brought the washing in. Hanging outside had allowed it all to dry, so for once I was up with all the laundry.
After showering and dressing, it was down for another leisurely breakfast, with the occasional chat to some who I had met last night. We headed out at 1000 to Agiba Beach, where reputedly Cleopatra and Mark Anthony had their dalliances. It was deserted apart from us tourists and the scene was both inspiring because of the history and breathtaking because of the beauty.
After a time there, we headed back into town to visit Rommel’s cave and museum. Again we had our policeman guard with us and we stopped just out of town to see the cave on our right. We went through (it is only small and has little inside except an ambience) and then were able to see the town to our south. We were on a spit extending to the west, whereas the spit the hotel was on extended to the east. There were still concrete blocks on the beach, whether recent or from WWII.
We then headed back into town for shopping again (for lunch supplies) before we went back to the hotel. I decided to walk over to Cleopatra’s Beach (which was to the west of where I had walked the day before). It was about six hundred metres to the west and a lot nicer beach, though there was a lot of rock there. After a few photos, and another greeting from the builder, I went back to the hotel.
This time I had trouble with the Internet connection and found Jon, another on the same tour, was having problems too. We spent most of the afternoon trying to get through (unsuccessfully) and ended up chatting away, and with others passing by as well. Then it was down to the beach for yet another glorious sunset before dinner. Here, as we finished, we noted our details for a contact sheet and also filled in details for Cosmos. I got my laptop and showed pictures I had taken earlier in the day and then showed others pictures of Australia. I also chatted with others who were on a “Battlefield” tour, including the lady who had spread her father’s ashes.
Back in my room by 2200, I processed the rest of the photos but resigned myself to not being able to upload them. I also did washing of today’s clothes, and so will not have to launder again until I get home. Then it was to sleep.

No comments: