Wednesday, November 5, 2008

31 October

Blog 31 October

Today – a day with so much promise and so little fulfilled!

I followed my routine and was up at 0625 and prepared and down for breakfast at 0700. During breakfast many goodbyes were said and many promises made (I wonder how many will be kept?) and then everyone started drifting off to whatever arrangements had been made.
I went up and packed, found my socks were still wet and had to pack them separately. Then I had a quandary with the posters I had bought – too large to tuck in with the laptop for safekeeping and to keep flat and nowhere in the case I could really guarantee they would stay flat, given the way airline employees pack luggage. I ended up with them between the tracksuit top and bottom and with my fingers crossed.
I was down at 0930 and checked out, to find Christine and Carol also waiting for a private car to the airport. A few minutes later down came Lou and Joan, also waiting – and all of us to go at 1000. As it turned out, it was a minibus, which should have cost us each a lot less, but only Lou went to fight for his change (but he did distribute it amongst us during the drive). At the airport, it looked as though the minibus might not get in, but it did and through we all went – to be faced with screening of all luggage before we got to the ticket desks. I had already seen it in Moscow so I wasn’t really upset, but the others hadn’t seen it before. I was nearly through, but then had to return to take my belt, shoes and watch off and pull the laptop out (but there had been no sign about that). Inside, we all said goodbye and headed off. Just to confuse, departure boards were different numbers of screen in different positions, so eventually we all found where our flights were. Mine, due out at 1425 and, I found out, a code share with Turkish Airlines (I was on EgyptAir), came up but with no check-in counter. Eventually, after flights nearly an hour later had come up with counters, mine did. I rushed there to find about twenty already there – a tour group. How they found out first I will never know (mainly because they were all Chinese). The person just ahead of me was an Australian, so we swapped a few notes on Turkey (and he gave me a few hints on Egypt) and in very short time we were up and checking in.
I had checked mine on the Internet and the codes I had weren’t coming up. A the desk I was right, but my suitcase, with less in it that when I left Melbourne, had somehow gained weight and went on the scales at 23 kilograms. I wasn’t charged extra (otherwise I would have called the veracity of the scales into question) and then I was out to go through passport control. This was quickly finished and then it was a matter of filling in time. I had a window seat, so I was happy that the early arrival had been worth it. For my two long-haul flights home I will see if I can get the window seat at the back, where there are only two seats and not three.
I went off to have some lunch and found Burger King, like Melbourne, charges extortionate prices – from 8,25 in Istanbul to 15 at the airport. However, it was still cheaper than what else was around, so I settled for it.
The lounge we were to leave from had its departure already for the earlier flight, so I went there, again to find large numbers already in there even though it was still showing the flight before. I noticed screening machines here, so like Moscow we were going to be “done” twice. I listened to my iPod as I couldn’t find a power point for the laptop (and I’m getting pretty good at finding them now). Then half an hour before the flight, the screening started. I got in line quickly, and with my previous experience was soon through with a minimum of fuss. Memo to self: when the after-screening lounge is small and the airconditioning is not turned on, wait till last. As a result, I and the other 199 sweltered for the fifteen minutes before we could board.
We ended up leaving over half an hour late, then had a good flight (but the windows were filthy and my photographs were not good) and the meal was even quite good. We landed at about 1645 and then pulled up in the middle of nowhere and had to wait for stairs and buses to arrive before we could get to the terminal.
For the first time, I was met before Immigration and Passport control. I introduced myself to my guide, who then informed me that I would be staying at a different hotel tonight and then change to the other about 1300 tomorrow. That annoyed me because I wanted to be familiar with the area and the hotel, walk around and see the sights, and then show Divika around tomorrow morning and thus have a useful day. Now I have lost an afternoon and a morning, which I can’t get back.
I quickly got through passport control and then had to wait a few minutes for my luggage. I overheard an Australian accent and had a quick chat with two others before my suitcase arrived. My guide grabbed it and took it outside, then called for the car. It took a few minutes and then we were off.
The guide got out and left me with the driver to go to the hotel. Well. With mobile phone calls, lane changing, horn blowing and light flashing, we drove for over another hour. Our speed varied from walking pace to over 100 kilometres per hour. By the time we arrived I was wondering whether I should have jumped out at some stage for my safety, given the number of cars, trucks and buses he cut off and the number of pedestrians who jumped out of the way.
By 1820 we got to the hotel. Very flash, the Intercontinental Pyramids Park Cairo Resort Hotel. I wasn’t allowed to take my own bag, but then at the desk they weren’t sure if I was actually there. The driver got a call from the other guide and he spoke to the hotel desk clerk, who then found I was in, and I then said he had to leave a message for Divika at the hotel I should have been at. Then I enquired about Internet. Yes, WiFi – get a card at the Business Centre. That immediately turned me off, because last time my time cut out in the middle of uploading and I wasted all the time. However, I kept an open mind as I was walked around to my room. Quick spacious, reasonable facilities including tea and coffee – BUT NO MILK! They will go unused.
I unpacked and walked back to the front (a hike in itself). Yes, breakfast was included, on the second floor. To save confusion, I ascertained that this was the ground floor – only then to be told the hotel has no second floor. However, I’m pretty sure I know where it is and it’s from 0600 until 1000. There is no use in me being there early as I can’t do anything.
Off to the Business Centre. WiFi access at US$6 per thirty minutes – so that will have to wait. Back to the room, took some photos and then explored a little, to see here the papyrus that Fran wants is the equivalent of A$10 per piece! I’m in the high-priced area with no alternatives! I can only hope that the hotel tomorrow night is better located and I have the chance to look around in the afternoon. I am very upset, even though I’ll bet the guide thinks he has done me a favour, when he has actually done the exact opposite. The pool, the facilities, are of no use to me and the three things I wanted – to settle in early, get to know the neighbourhood and help the others when they arrive – I can’t do. I will complain when I am home, but it can’t help me though it may help others.
I ended up changing for bed, writing my blog, processing the photos and resetting the aircon from the 5°C that the previous occupant had set it on. Unfortunately my room backs on to an elevated freeway so there will be noise all night.
Never mind, to bed and to sleep (eventually).
But then again … I chose the bed from the two in the room, only to find long black hair already in it. As I have no hair that long, let alone black, I wondered, then chose to sleep in the other bed.

No comments: